Guided Fly Fishing for Shad on the Willamette River
Catching Shad on the Willamette
The excitement and thrill of a hard-fighting shad is fun for anglers of all skill levels and ages. Water Time Outfitters offers a unique, half-day fly fishing trip in Oregon City – only minutes south of Portland, Oregon on the Willamette River.
You’ll cast and strip flies from the platform of a steady jet boat and tease the strike of one of literally thousands of shad swimming up river. Often called the “freshwater tarpon”, the American Shad can be an absolute blast on the fly and numbers hooked can add up quickly. Come join Water Time Outfitters on the Willamette River for a fun, 4-hour session of fly fishing for shad in June.
This is urban fishing at its most fun. From the jet boat ride on the Willamette to hard-fighting shad (and a lot of 'em), it's an experience not to be missed.
What to Expect on Your Half-Day Shad Trip
All the gear is provided and water and soft drinks are in the boat. After some time on the Willamette, you’ll understand that this inner city waterway isn’t just for heavy gear and Spring Chinook (although we have no issues with that, either!). You’ll likely see sturgeon roll near the boat and enjoy other sights that can only be experienced from the water. Most of our clients are repeat customers, and we’re confident you will be too.
4-Hour Guided Shad Trip Fees
What We Provide
- An experienced guide! Expect patient, personalized attention and an intent focus on optimizing your time on the water.
- Rod, reel, lines and flies are included within the cost of the trip.
- From the cooler, we’ll have water and soft drinks on board. Bring your own snacks or additional drinks.
- Email with a detailed itinerary of your trip including directions to the meeting point, what to bring and what to expect.
What You Provide
- Your travel arrangements to and from the meeting place for your trip in or near Portland, OR.
- Waders and Boots (Let us know if you need recommendations.)
- Your Fishing License! (Don’t have one yet? Visit Oregon Fish and Wildlife HERE.)
- Polarized sunglasses.
- Even though we have flies, we recommend you bring your favorites with you!
- Give us a heads up on any dietary restrictions before the trip.